Staining your wooden furniture can be a little challenging at first. You need to find the right type, and you need to find the right brand as well. The best paint for outdoor wood furniture will be one that actually fits the particular wood condition. It can be different on each furniture piece. Let’s find out more about this.
The Types of Paint You Will Find
So, the right paint should be chosen based on several major factors, including the final look you are targeting, your wooden furniture painting skill, as well as the wood species. However, there are a few types of paint that you can find at the store.
- Latex Furniture Paint: Thisparticular paint is popular for wooden furniture. The final quality is better than chalk paint, but you need more steps to work with it. On top of unfinished furniture, you need to apply primer for at least two layers before using this. If your furniture got the old finish on it, one layer of prime is enough.
This paint can be used in all parts of your furniture just as it is possible to use this paint with unglazed ceramic, plaster, masonry, and metal. But the most important thing is to give a dry time on each layer you make with this paint.
- Chalk Paint: This type of paint is actually water based and it is DIYer favorite for being easy to apply. Basically, prep work as well as sanding aren’t necessary with this type of paint, but these steps are required if you are painting a furniture piece with high level of touching like a dresser.
The final look will be matte which is often found the best for wooden furniture and the application can be done indoor as well for being non-VOC. Overtime, your painted surface will get distressed which is the best if you want the farmhouse look in the end.
- Spray Paint: Comparing to chalk paint, it is way more durable and easier to use as well. It doesn’t create brush stroke detail on your furniture surface, and it doesn’t take complicated steps to create a new and smooth finish.
However, this paint needs to be used outdoor for producing a lot and a lot of fumes. It is also recommended for you to use all the necessary safety gears including respiratory and goggles. Your final piece will smell very chemically so give it a rest for a few days before you take it inside.
Recommended Paints for Wood Furniture
As you decide on the type of paint you are going to choose, you should browse your options more. There are of course popular brands for this, but your options are actually wider than that. You can actually create custom color too. As far as wood furniture paint, the recommendation will be this long:
- Chalk Paint by Rust-Oleum
This reputable brand creates nine different hues to choose to create your shabby chic furniture. Its flat finish doesn’t require prep work and sanding so it is very easy to apply as well.
While applying the paint, you will notice that it has only soft smell. Yet, being careful is still important because chalk paint tends to stain including on your outfit and probably shoes and floors.
- Latex Paint by Valspar
This paint is created specifically for cabinet finish so yes, this is an indoor paint. Its semi gloss finish can be achieved with even your own customized color. The brand already provides hundreds of color options and it is very durable too.
However of course, this isn’t a great paint for your outdoor furniture piece. In addition to it, you will need to apply multiple layers of the paint before you can finally achieve your targeted look.
- Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover by Rust-Oleum
This paint is a popular choice for modern looking finish to be sure. The layer will be thick as well as glossy, giving your furniture a sophisticated look. Just a little of this paint can cover wider surface of your piece.
Even though its color options are very limited into ten, its shiny and sleek finish is just perfect and it can be used for outdoor piece as well. It is a paint for all literally.
- Chalk Paint by Behr
This paint is very popular to those who love distressed and vintage look. This paint is delicate with chalky finish you will really love. There are eight different color options and all of them are either vintage or rustic as in trend right now.
The price is cheaper than most of the rests and it can be further tinted into 500 different hues. It is actually low on VOC so you can use it for the interior furniture but you may need to double layer it.
- Painter’s Touch 2x Spray Paint by Rust-Oleum
It is a popular option for budget DIY because it is practically cheap. It is highly recommended for small jobs, and it is available on so many options of finish or final look. While it is very affordable, there are a huge numbers of color options and it is easy to apply.
Considering that it produces a lot of fumes and the fumes will smell really strong, it is advised to use this paint outdoor or in a very well ventilated area.
- Arborcoat Stain by Benjamin Moore
This paint makes the best choice if you plan to finish your outdoor furniture. It is an acrylic paint and it gives you matte finish from its thousands of color options. It will make the right option for your outdoor lounge and chairs, tables, as well as swing.
The application will require primer prior the use and this paint is literally tintable with most of colors on this brand.
BEST PAINT FOR OUTDOOR WOOD FURNITURE
If you find for best paint for outdoor wood furniture, you must know some special features which make it different from other paint. Outdoor wood furniture needs high durability to protect it from UV light, wind, rain, and temperature changes. And also the paint must be easy to apply.
There are many types of outdoor wood furniture paints available in the market. But not all of them have good quality. To help you make the right decision, we have compiled a list of the best paints for outdoor wood furniture.
1. The first paint on our list is from Sherwin-Williams. This brand is known for manufacturing high-quality paints and primers. The Sherwin-Williams SuperDeck Exterior Deck Stain is a great choice for your outdoor wood furniture. It is made of 100% acrylic resin and has a semi-transparent finish. This strain is very easy to apply and provides excellent protection against UV light and water damage.
2. Another great choice for outdoor wood furniture paint is the Benjamin Moore Arborcoat Solid Deck & Siding Stain. This product is also made of 100% acrylic resin and provides excellent protection against UV light, water damage, and temperature changes. It has a semi-transparent finish and is very easy to apply.
3. If you are looking for a paint that is both durable and easy to apply, then the Behr Premium Deck Stain & Sealer is a great option. This product is made of 100% acrylic resin and provides excellent protection against UV light, water damage, and temperature changes. It has a semi-transparent finish and is very easy to apply.
4. The Olympic Maximum Stain & Sealant in One is a great choice for outdoor wood furniture. It is made of 100% acrylic resin and provides excellent protection against UV light, water damage, and temperature changes. It has a semi-transparent finish and is very easy to apply.
5. The last paint on our list is the Rust-Oleum Restore Solid Stain & Sealant in One. This product is made of 100% acrylic resin and provides excellent protection against UV light, water damage, and temperature changes. It has a semi-transparent finish and is very easy to apply.
These are some of the best paints for outdoor wood furniture. All of these products are made of high-quality materials and provide excellent protection against UV light, water damage, and temperature changes. Choose the right paint for your outdoor wood furniture and enjoy its beauty for years to come.
So yes, there are so many options and there are actually more that can’t be listed all in here. Focus on your targeted look, your wood species, and how good you are in this field. Painting your wooden furniture can be a fun project to finish. Have fun. Thanks for reading this site!