Leather couch looks good and luxurious but it needs special method of maintenance and care as well.
Many people prefer to call the professional and spend a lot of bucks for the service. Meanwhile, there are tools and products you can buy and use today.
Here is a little guide on how to clean it by yourself.
1. How to Remove Debris
Removing the debris seems simple. However, you need to know that some debris is too hard and harsh for leather.
If you just swipe it, you may hurt the leather and create some kind of scars. This is the moment when you regret treating carelessly.
Instead of ruining your couch, try the following steps:
- The simplest way is to use the vacuum. In order to reach even the smallest debris, it is highly recommended to use the hand tool instead of the big one you usually use for the rugs and carpet. It allows you to reach more in the couch. Make sure to reach on the folds and creases.
- When you are done using the hand tool, you should consider repeating using the brush. Attach the brush on the hand tool to replace the previous tool, and start brushing the leather couch slowly. It allows you to vacuum the remaining smaller debris without scratching the leather surface. This time, please make sure to reach on folds as well as creases again.
- Now, this is the last touch. As we already remove the debris, it should be safe to dust the couch. Microfiber or feather dusters are highly recommended as they work effectively while being soft to the leather. Make sure to use the duster only after you are done vacuuming the debris.
2. How to Treat Stains
Now this is trouble. Stain can change the leather look while several more dangerous stains can ruin it. The thing is you need different method to clean different stain. It is because each stain can be caused by different properties and each property is different. Check out the following suggestions for cleaning your couch from stains.
- Cleaning the Grease Stain
Grease stain is commonly caused by food, beauty products, or your hair. Cleaning it is actually pretty simple. It is important to clean the grease as soon as your couch gets it. Use the leather cleaning solution and soft cloth to wipe it out. If there is still stain remains, spread cornstarch or baking soda on top of it. Leave it for several hours before brushing it clean.
- Cleaning the Ink Stain
Ink stain can be a little tough but there is a trick. First, take a cotton ball and dip it into rubbing alcohol. Make sure to dip it right, not too soaked. Second, blot the stain with the cotton ball. Make sure to blot it, not rubbing it as it spreads the ink. In addition to it, don’t soak the leather. The alcohol will ruin it. Third, dry the area with a damp rag as the stain goes away, and then wipe again with other dry rag.
- Cleaning Liquid Stain
Liquid stain is mainly caused by spilled red wine, coffee, or tea. When they are spilled, make sure to immediately wipe the liquid. Use an absorbent and clean cloth to wipe it and make sure not to give pressure while wiping. Once the liquid is wiped, get the leather cleaning solution and clean the area with it. When you are done, dry the area with clean and dry rag.
- Cleaning Darker Stain
If you leather is fairer than the stain, you need to make special potion to really clean the stain. Mix cream of tartar and lemon. Make sure both are on the same measurement. Then, apply the mixture on the stain and leave it for around 10 minutes. Last, wipe it clean using damp cloth and dry the area using dry rag. If the stain remains, repeat this treatment as needed.
3. How to Do Routine Cleaning
Routine cleaning is as essential as the previous treatments. It is what makes your couch stays fit and pretty. This cleaning isn’t that complicated as well actually. Try to apply these steps:
- Take a small bowl or bucket, and add white vinegar and water in equal parts in it. For the water, it is recommended to use the room temperature water instead. It is also suggested not to use tap water as it may contain chemicals that can ruin the couch leather.
If you don’t feel like making this solution, you can buy leather cleaning solution in alternative. You only need to read the label to make sure you know the proper use.
- Take a clean rag and dip it into the solution you just made. Then, wring it until it is damp. It is important not to use drench rag as the dripping can ruin the leather.
- Then using the damp rag, wipe the couch slowly and softly. You can work it down for best result. Remember, you don’t have to give it a pressure so you don’t ruin the leather. When you need to repeat, dip the rag into the solution again. Give it several strokes and then wring it before using again.
- After you are done wiping, you need to take a fresh dry cloth and wipe the couch dry.
4. How to Condition the Couch
Conditioning the couch is actually needed as well. It is recommended to do it every six to twelve months. It keeps the color, the leather condition, and the entire details, making sure they stay. Try the following tricks to keep the couch awesome.
- Take a small bowl and mix two cups of white vinegar and 10-15 drops of tea tree oil or lemon. Mix them well until all are dissolved. Then, take a soft and clean cloth or rag and dip it into the solution. Give it several strokes and then wring it until it is damp.
- Use the cloth or rag to wipe the entire couch. Make sure to reach the corners and folds to really clean it. Then, dry the couch with dry cloth.