If you don’t know how to clean floor heating vents, there are actually several possible ways to do it.
However, some people may find difficulty on cleaning floor vents. Here are some easy steps on how to do it properly.
Before Cleaning Floor Vents
It is important to know that before start cleaning floor vents, you need to know thoroughly the vents composition.
Mostly, vents materials are metal and it is possible to clean it using a dishwasher. It is better not to wash the vents using any paint because paint can be peeled when it is washed by a dishwasher.
For wooden vents, it is highly recommended not to wash it with a dishwasher as well because it is susceptible to intense heat. If the vents are made of plastic, a dishwasher can’t be used to clean it as well
Cleaning Floor Vents Using a Dishwasher
For the floor vents that are made of metal, it is recommended to use a dishwasher to clean it. Here are some steps on how to clean floor vents using a dishwasher.
- First, turn off any vent fan, heat, and air conditioning. It is dangerous to keep these ventilation systems on while cleaning because the blower can spread grime and dust into the air. Grime and dust can irritate eyes and lungs. In addition, it is recommended to wear dust mask and eye protection.
- Use a vacuum that is equipped with a kind of crevice tool to clear loose dust and grim from the vent. It is essential to do to avoid the dust and grim for falling on the floor. A damp rag can also be used to wipe down vents.
- The next step is to remove floor vents. Use a standard screwdriver to remove some screws on the floor vents, so that it can be moved from the floor. Use a crevice tool on the vacuum to clean loose grime and dust behind the vents if there is any.
- After that, arrange the vents in a dishwasher without stacking them. Make sure to not use any dishwasher detergents. It is because detergents are not suitable for vents and it can cause damage on the surface. Next, start the dishwasher for a few minutes.
- Do not directly move the vents after washing them on the dishwasher because the heat from the dishwasher can make the vents hot. Wait for few moments and then move them to its original place and do not forget to fasten each back with the screws.
Cleaning Floor Vents Manually
For other types of dishwashers, such as wooden vents and plastic vents, it is highly recommended to wash them manually. Here are some steps to follow.
- First thing first, do not forget to turn off all ventilation systems. Wherever the position of the vents is, it is a must to turn off all ventilation systems.
- Then, use a crevice tool to help removing dirt from the crannies and the nooks of the vent. Then, wipe the vents with a damp rag to make sure that it is clean from grime and dust. This surface cleaning is recommended to do to restore vents condition. Surface cleaning doesn’t have to be done thoroughly because the main purpose of vacuuming and wiping is to remove loose dust.
- After that, take the vents out from the floor. Use unused newspaper or a tarp to catch falling dust from the vent. Do not forget to remove screws that fasten the vents to the floor using a standard screwdriver.
- Now, the vents are already removed from the floor, bring them to the bathroom and clean the vents in warm water with dish soap. Use a dish cleaning tool, such as a sponge or a scrub brush for more maximum result.
- Finally, return the vents to the original position. Make sure to put the screws back on the vents to fasten them on the floor.
Cleaning floor vents do not require an expert knowledge, but it should be done carefully. Learning how to clean floor heating vents first will matter a lot in the real application.