Grout or tile floors sometimes can transform into dirt and stain if it is not cleaned for a long period of time. Some types of stains will be difficult to remove.
Then how to clean grout floors in the easiest ways? There are few things to know about it. Check this out.
Read also: The Best Zep Grout Cleaner Reviews
Things to Know Before Cleaning Grout on Floor
There are several things to know before cleaning grout or tiles. It is beneficial to avoid any damage caused by cleaners or methods that are applied improperly to floor grout.
- First of all, check the types of grout or tiles on floors and make sure the method that will be used to clean them is mastered. There are certain chemicals that should never be used to clean certain types of floor as they can cause damage to floors as well.
- Make sure to clean the surface of the floor before cleaning the grout to get rid of any extra dirt and mildews.
- Try to work methodically, for example, start from one corner of the room, then treat the vertical or horizontal grout lines first to make sure every floor surface is completely covered.
- Do not forget to always rinse all treated floor grouts with clean water.
- Dry the floor with a clean and dry towel to make sure that the floor is dry and not slippery.
Methods of Cleaning Grout
Dirty and stained grout floor will of course make the room environment rather unpleasant and uncomfortable. In order to get rid of dirt and mildews that makes grout filthy. There are several methods worth to try. They are described as follows.
1. Grout Tile Cleaning Using Grout Pens
Grout pens are a good tool to apply a layer on grout lines to cover any stains and dirt. Besides, substances in grout pens are best to fight mold and mildew. Grout pens are available at local supermarkets, especially in most hardware stores. However, it can take longer duration to clean a large area.
2. Grout Tile Cleaning Using Natural Remedies
Yes, even tile grout deserves natural remedies. Natural remedies can be used to clean dirt and stains on grout as well. These natural remedies include white vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda. How to use them to clean grout? Make a paste of lemon juice and baking soda or dissolve white vinegar with water to make a solution. Apply one of the solutions directly to the grout and let it stand for about 10 to 15 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing it. Make sure to only mix the natural remedies as the recommendation and test it first on a small area to make sure the formula is right.
3. Clean Grout Tile Using Chlorine Bleach or Oxygenated Bleach
These products are considered as harsh cleaners, so make sure to use them with care and follow the instructions from the products before using them. These products can effectively disinfect and clean grout. However, they may lighten colored grouts as well. Apply the solution on the grout and let it stand for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then, start to scrub them with a toothbrush or nylon-bristled brush and rinse off the treated areas with clean water to remove any residue of the solution.
Tips for Maintaining and Protecting Tile and Grout
Actually, floor grout also needs to be maintained and protected to avoid dirt and mildew. How to do grout maintenance? Make this grout cleaning activity as a regular cleaning schedule to slow down the re-appearance of dirt and mildew and the discoloration of the grout. This activity can be done daily or weekly. It depends on how fast dirt and mildew get into the grout. Commonly, once a week cleaning is enough to keep it squeaky clean.
Clean grout makes pleasant floor in every room. If you are selling the house, it will affect the price too. Cleaning dirt and mildew on grout isn’t as complicated as it sounds. Try these tips on how to clean grout floors above and get clean and shiny floor all the time.