People may find serious difficulty on how to clean concrete floor in basement from stains. Concrete floor is made of versatile and durable material and it makes it trickier to clean.
Here are few things that are needed to know about cleaning concrete floor.
Preparing Cleaning Equipment
Before going further to the explanation of how to clean concrete floor, some cleaning equipment should be prepared first. Some basic cleaning supplies are listed as follows.
- Prepare duster and broom, or a vacuum.
- In order to get rid of stains, a nylon-bristled brush is needed.
- Prepare Laundry bleach, detergent, and trisodium phosphate to remove mildew.
- In order to get rid of stubborn stains, it is also recommended to prepare ammonia, bleach, or hydrogen peroxide.
- Also, prepare a bucket and water to mix cleaning substances.
After preparing all the basic cleaning equipment, it is time to get rid of stains that contaminate the floor.
Cleaning Concrete Floor
There are some steps or ways to clean concrete floor. Cleaning concrete floor cannot be done in random ways, so here are some steps that need to follow.
1. Clear Any Furniture before Cleaning
Before starting to clean the floor, do not forget to relocate any furniture or decorations that are still on the floor that will be cleaned. It will effectively ease the cleaning process and also fasten it. It is because there is no need to clean around furniture or continuously move the furniture around while cleaning up the floor.
2. Dust and Sweep Up the Floor
After moving everything on the floor that needs to be cleaned, it is time to sweep and dust the floor. Get all large debris and dirt using the broom from corners of the room to the other corners. After that, repeat the same way to remove fine dust and particles using duster.
However, it is recommended that dusting should be done daily, and sweeping is done weekly. If there is a good vacuum available, then the broom and duster are not needed as the vacuum will effectively clean large dirt, fine dust, and particles.
3. Clean up the Stains
If there are stains that contaminate the floor as well, then what to do is to fill up a bucket with hot soapy water. After that, wet the scrubbing brush or the nylon-bristled brush with water for few seconds. Then, scrub it on the area, which is contaminated by stains, using the brush.
Once the stains are removed, it is recommended to rinse the area to completely get rid of any residue left after cleaning the stains.
4. Use Stronger Cleaners to Clean Up Stubborn Stains
If there are tough and stubborn stains that cannot be easily removed from the floor, then use bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and ammonia in order to remove it. Mix the cleaning substances with water and spray them on the stains. Let it stand for about 20 minutes. After that, scrub it with a brush.
Do not forget to rinse the area with clean water to remove any residue. Make sure to wear gloves and any protective gears when using harsh cleaners and also make sure that the room has good and working ventilation.
Additional Cleaning Tips
There are some additional cleaning tips about how many cleaning processes should be done in a month, how to protect the beauty of the floor, and many more. It is described as follows.
- Cleaning concrete floor in basement is recommended to be done once a month. However, it is also important to know that the appearance of the floor is decreased if the use of harsh cleaners is continuously during the cleaning process. Therefore, do not use any harsh cleaner if there is no need to use it.
- Concrete floor also needs to be refined and protected. Therefore, it is recommended to reseal the floor every 3 to 4 years. It is highly suggested to hire a flooring professional to perform this task to make sure it is done properly and efficiently. Alternatively, there are available products that can be installed without the help of the professional. With proper installation, it cuts the budget.
- Always check and make sure there is no spill that remains on the floor. Even though the concrete floor is properly sealed, the spill can cause stain if it is left on the floor for too long. In order to anticipate it, simply use a damp cloth to wipe up the spills.
- Concrete floor needs to be rebuffed occasionally as well to preserve its shine. To do this, it is recommended to use a high-speed buffer with white pad which is available at rental stores. However, it is also recommended to contact a professional to perform this task, so the floor is rebuffed properly.
- If there are stubborn stains that cannot be removed using any regular mopping, then simply use cleaners that are designed to remove it. Spray the contaminated area with the designated cleaners and let it stands for about 20 minutes. This period is commonly enough for the cleaner to dissolve the stain and totally remove it. After that, use a damp cloth to wipe the stains and to make sure there is nothing left.
Maintaining concrete floor, such as cleaning it from stains is important task to do. Fortunately, cleaning concrete floor is now an easy task to perform. Use steps and additional cleaning tips on how to clean concrete floor in basement for your personal cleaning guide.