Repairing screened in porch will require a skill which is not easy. Porch screen is one of the structures at home that can take a lot of abuse over the years.
It has a great durability, but those abuses can eventually cause the porch screen to stretch and wear.
So, how do you repair the porch screen? Here are things you need to know.
Read also: All about screened in porch under deck.
Patching the Screen Porch
It is better to patch the rip or damaged screened porch rather than replacing the existing porch screen with a new one. The tutorial is explained below.
- First, you have to determine what the screen material is made of. Simply grab the screen and feel it. For metal screening, the loose strands are wire and of course it feels metallic. Fiberglass screening itself feels more flexible, smoother, and similar to plastic.
- Then, measure the hole or rip using a tape measure in the damaged screen. You may want to pay attention to the largest rip or hole if there are several rip in the existing screen.
- Cut a square or rectangular piece of screening for at least 1 to 2 inches larger than the rip. The size of the fresh piece you use as a patch will be determined by how large the rip is.
- You will need to unravel the screening material then pull some strands. Pull the vertical strands off the sides and do the same thing to the horizontal ones to the top and bottom of the ripped area. Then, bend the remaining strands to face the existing screen.
- The last thing you should do is to apply a pressure to the angled strands over the torn area, then stoop the strands onto the side of the screen in order to make sure that the patch is secured on the original screen.
Additional Useful Tips
Furthermore, there are some tips that may be useful for you. Here are some tips related to repairing or patching the screen porch:
- Portions of window screening are available at many hardware stores. So, consider to buy a little extra of them and save it for future use.
- If the length of the rip on your screen is more than three inches long, or if the rip is close to the door or window frame in area that cannot be patched, then considering to replace the entire screen will be a better option.
- Make sure to match the patch material to the original screen material whenever possible. For example, if the original one is made of metal, use a metal screen patch as well.
- It is better to check on your screened porch regularly to make sure that it is not damaged or to know whether the porch screen is about to be repaired.
See also: Screened in porch materials
In conclusion, there are things you need to do in order to repair the damaged screened porch. The repairing activities will need your handy skill, so you have to be careful if it is your first repairing something. Rather, if you are in doubt of repairing it by yourself then you can call a professional to do the job.
Originally posted 2019-11-12 01:20:49.